The Evolving Style Guide
Style guides can become outdated or lose their “surprise and delight” factor over time. To build or modify a style guide quickly, and to keep projects moving, I’ve experimented with solutions to build templates and styles without investing a lot of time or money.
- Identify what worked best in previous projects (design styles, or results from performance metrics), and build upon it.
- Select long-lasting core elements, and add in a few styles or colors which change seasonally.
- View the work on different devices, adjust font sizes and colors for legibility, and spacing for finger-friendly touch targets.
- Use existing templates as a starting point, and tweak them to fit the current need.
- Leverage copy or beautiful photography to keep the design templates feeling fresh.
- Revise and refine when styles won’t work to keep projects shipping quickly.
- Document the successful elements to use as styles and templates going forward.